I have been thinking a bit lately about my blog and what I plan to do with it. To start I thought I would let you know some of the thinking behind the name, Seeking Healthy Balance.
When I started my blog I wanted to choose a name which conveyed the journey I was on. I wanted to attract readers on similar journeys and with similar interests. So what was that journey?
Its not easy to explain in a catchy title as it covers a range of issues:
- Weightloss – continuing to lose weight in a healthy way and at a healthy pace
- Healthy eating – Increasing the fruit and veg I eat, choosing whole grains where possible, making more of my food from scratch etc
- Understanding my bodies signals – Intuitive Eating, listening to and understanding cravings
- Increasing exercise – committing to regular exercise, finding ways to be more active in everyday life.
- Recognising and respecting my feelings – learning to live with my occasional depressive episodes, seeing and reacting to the warning signs
- Making time for activities I enjoy and not wasting time on those I don’t
- Making time for the people who mean a lot to me and not wasting time on those who don’t make me feel good.
Wow, that’s quite a list. How could I convey all of that in my title!! I thought about this for some time. The words I came up with didn’t quite sound right. Then I hit upon ‘BALANCE’. All of the thoughts above relate to achieving balance in my life. Keeping my life on track, not swinging from one extreme to the other. Overeat for a whole weekend then spend the rest of the week afraid to eat to make up for it. Or spending all my spare time on chores or wedding planning and then feeling drained and depressed due to the stress. Not finding the time to spend with those who mean a lot to me, and then feeling guilty about it. I could go through examples all day!
So far I think I have focussed a lot of my blogging on food but I want to ensure I cover all the issues above and more. I plan to write some mini articles on these topics over the next few weeks and mix in a few product reviews too.
There have been a few days lately where I have not blogged my food intake for the day. That is because I have felt that I have eaten badly and I have felt ashamed to post it. Well not anymore. In writing this I want to emphasise that I am SEEKING Healthy Balance – I’m not there yet. Maybe I will never fully achieve the balance I strive for but I am not ashamed of the steps I will take to get there.
Call for questions:
If there are any questions you have for me or issues that you think would be good to discuss please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on a post and I promise to answer them. Let me know what issues and topics interest you!